Pages

8.21.2009

Maybe so, maybe not


Phish
Originally uploaded by One Ping Only
Since this summer's been all about checking back in on bands I haven't listened to in a mighty long time, I thought it would be appropriate to mention that the Phish show Erica and I went to a week ago today was phenomenal.
Erica and I have totally different ideas of what Phish sounds like, or should sound like. I listened to them a lot during high school, which was in the early 90s--Junta, Lawn Boy, A Picture of Nectar, and Rift are still the albums I hear playing in my head when my students show up in Phish t-shirts. For Erica, though, it's different--she's so much younger than me that she didn't start listening to Phish until after I pretty much stopped, when I went away to college and got into punk and indie and disowned my jam-band fan past.
So this show's setlist turned out to be a lot more of my stuff than hers--lots of old songs that even predated my time of phandom, a lot of inside jokes and references for old-school heads, not too many of their poppier songs (no "Waste," no "Farmhouse," no "Sample in a Jar"), a killer cover of the Talking Heads' "Psycho Killer".
The upshot of the whole thing, though, is that I'm interested in Phish again. They have a new record coming out in a couple of weeks that I will probably buy. I've been looking all summer for a new band to love (and am about to head out to the library to pick up the Kings of Leo discs they're holding for me), but maybe it's just time to rediscover a band I used to call one of my favorites, back in a much different time.

No comments:

Post a Comment